Thursday, October 22, 2009

Taking my new TOMS shoes out for a spin


Taking a break from my mid-week lazing and to procrastinate further on the treatment I was supposed to write, I took my new red TOMS shoes out for a walk. This was the first day I had a chance to wear them since I bought them in Canada so I wasn't sure how comfortable they would be. Well I worried for nothing! My TOMS were not only comfortable but I got to see a nice deep red toe that poked out under my jeans wherever I walked.

Beyond the comfort they gave me, TOMS, more importantly, are made by a company that help children in need. TOMS shoes began after American Blake Mycoskie took a trip to Argentina in 2006. He became friends with the children there who, more often than not, had no shoes. As walking can be a primary form of transportation in developing countries, going barefoot means children can be at risk from cuts and sores from unsafe roads and contaminated soil. These cuts can lead to infections and is the leading cause of disease in developing countries. Also shoes can be a requirement to attend school, so without them, these children can't get an education.



Mycoskie created TOMS with the idea that still drives the company to this day. Buy a pair of shoes and a pair goes to a child who needs them. SO far over 150,000 pairs have been given away with the goal to give another 300,000 by the end of this year. It's just that easy to use your purchasing power for good.

If you want to find out more about TOMS and get yourself a pair of shoes, you can visit their website. Now that I've been on there, I want to buy the whole shop! Don't know if I can resist - comfortable, colourful, fun AND helps a good cause? Have to make some more room in my closet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home