Sunday, November 15, 2009

Marathon bound…one run at a time


I’ve decided to give running another go. I’m great at making excuses but it actually feels good when you run on a regular basis. I got into it for a few months last year but then life got in the way.

Today I cracked open “Running Made Easy” which I think is a great book for all you beginner runners out there (me included). When you first begin, you start off very easy. Run 1 minute, walk 3 minutes and repeat that 4 times. 16 minutes. Sounds easy – and it will be when I get in shape again. But it’s a nice level to start off at – achievable and doesn’t want to make you quit immediately. I think my problem with all the other times I wanted to start running was that I tried to do too much too soon. Or I started running at ridiculous times (like the middle of January in the wilds of Canada!)

The first 10 weeks you work up towards a 5 km run. I can usually do one in 30 minutes and I want to get back up to that. But instead of jumping right in, I’m going back to the beginning. Once comfortable with 5 km then you can train 10 weeks for a 10 km. Then 11 weeks to a half marathon and 12 weeks to a marathon. I’m thinking a year at minimum to get me to marathon capability. Should I do it? 2012?

The book says have a goal in mind. Now that I have my visa and I’m mere days away from being able to apply for my British passport, I think it’s time for another non-work goal. My new Nikes are in the post. Marathon here I come!

Photo by corono

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home