Monday, July 10, 2006

WORLD CUP FEVER!

Yes the World Cup has been here and gone and the big winners, big winners are ITALY! Hoorah. I cheered for them as my good friends are Italian and I thought if I'm going to support someone, then I'll support my friends. I found myself in a teeny tiny pub in a small back street in Cambridge. It was all woody and cosy with their own beer on tap. Everyone was intent on the game except for an artist trying to sell us his paintings of American cityscapes. £650 was a bit steep but we didn't have the heart to tell him. Also we couldn't tell him that the world cup finals were on and we were actually there to see them. We're just too nice. He left before Zadane's famous Glasgow Kiss (aka headbutt) so we all got to enjoy it in it's full glory.

So Italy won and I had to run for my train to get back to London - those pesky trains don't run well on Sundays so I knew if I missed one then I'd have a long long wait and I was foolishly believing that I wouldn't miss the tube on the other end if I caught this one. I missed the tube of course and had to stand in Kings Cross waiting for my bus. I'm glad I didn't have my red lipstick and fishnets on. I may be short of cash, but not that short. I'm sure you've figured by now that it's not the nicest part of town now is it? For those of you not from London, you'll just have to believe me.

ANYWAY, I decided to head to Trafalger Square to change buses to head home and had a disjointed conversation with a couple of dejected French supporters. I said "cool headbutt huh?" And they shook their heads no and gave me looks of "the stupid American-ish girl is trying to talk football - zut alore!". Not so cool I guess. So I gave a little wave, wished them "better luck next year!" and jumped off the bus. Now I should've known this but I didn't even think. I didn't think about someone winning the World Cup and what the aftermath would be. This equated to every Italian in London in Trafalger Square. Not just in it but jumping and screaming and writhing and waving flags and singing songs I didn't know. I LOVED it! Even though it meant the buses were rammed and were all being detoured, the feeling was infectious. I wished I was Italian just for this night as I stood under Nelson's column at 1 am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bradeus said...

Better luck next year? That probably didn't help your football credibility with the French.

Of course, I was cheering for France because 1) We've got that whole English/French thing going on here in Canada (in theory at least) and, 2) There are way more Italians in my neighbourhood... the 5:00am horn honking got old pretty fast.

14/7/06 08:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home