Sunday, January 31, 2010

Eating Italian: a list of top Italian restaurants in London

Someone asked if anyone knew any romantic but inexpensive Italian restaurants to go to. I've written this to answer the call but didn't want to limit myself to only romance and have listed 11 top restaurants plus a little Italian deli in town and my favourite pizza takeaway. The order I put these in doesn't mean anything. It's just the order I've written them in. I've also given links to each restaurant. Though there are various sites you can go to look up restaurants, I've provided Yelp links for all the restaurants so you can see what other people think too.


1) Italian Kitchen
Area: Bloomsbury
Nearest train/ tube: Tottenham Court Road/ Holborn/Covent Garden.

Cosy, delicious, romantic and so Italian. I just have to walk by it and I smile.

2) Made in Italy
Area: Chelsea
Nearest train/ tube: South Kensington/ Sloane Square

I went here with a friend as I was working on Kings Road. It's bustling and busy and we were lucky to find a table as it's normally booked out (so I was told). If more than one of you has pizza, they come out together on a big slab which is especially good if you want to share different kinds of pizza amongst you. If you can, try to sit upstairs.

3) Assaggi Restaurant
Area: Bayswater
Nearest train/ tube: Bayswater/ Notting Hill Gate

If you're out west and looking for a date worthy Italian restaurant for a special occasion, this is your spot. With only 11 tables and a Michelin star, you need to book in advance.

4) Gourmet Pizza Co
Area: Southwark
Nearest train/tube: Temple/ Waterloo/ Southwark

My friend took me here when I was at the London film festival and it was great to find a place with affordable food that overlooked the Thames (though an even better view is the Pizza Express near the Globe - if you get a window table you have a direct view of St. Paul's and I actually love their pizzas and their doughballs despite the fact they are a chain). And it's right in the middle of the Southbank which is one of my favourite places to be. The staff was OK but get a table by the window and the views will eliminate all thoughts of anything else.

5) Donna Margherita
Area: Clapham
Nearest train/ tube: Clapham Junction/Clapham Common

This is the place for Neapolitan food - and though you can get a range of food, I love the pizza the best. It's another cosy and buzzing restaurant that can accommodate a group of friends or a romantic dinner. The first time I was there, the owner came over and showed me how to eat my pizza the true Neapolitan way by folding each slice over so it was easy to eat by hand.

6) Ziani
Area: Chelsea
Nearest train/tube: Sloan Square/South Kensington

This was recommended to me and I've never been BUT I've been told it's a hidden gem so check it out and let me know how it is. I'll be trying there next.

7) Ciao Bella
Area: Bloomsbury
Nearest train/ tube: Russell Square

As you would expect from a restaurant in town, this place can be loud, crowded and a bit rushed but it has the candlelight ambience and tasty food that could transport you to Italy for a few hours of romance.

8) Fratelli La Bufala
Area: Hampstead
Nearest train/tube: Hampstead Heath/ Belsize Park

Didn't want to leave you folks up north out of the Italian restaurant list though I've been told this is a place to mainly go for pizza. Do a walk on the heath and build up an appetite. Yum yum.

9) Franco Manca
Area: Brixton
Nearest train/ tube: Brixton

I haven't been here yet but all I ever read are great reviews. I tried to go down to have the pizzas there once but they are only open 12-5 Monday - Saturday and I got there too late. I'm thinking a pizza and a film at the Ritzy would be the perfect spot for an afternoon date (plus you could then extend it into drinks in the evening if it's going well ;)

10) Numero Uno
Area: Clapham
Closest train/ tube: Clapham Junction/ Clapham South

Though I don't usually go this far down Northcote road (no I'm NOT lazy), this is a cute little Italian. Maybe not a first/ romantic date place, but good if you want something fun but more casual.

11) Osteria Pulcinella
Area: Twickenham

My flatmate Trish has recommended this little gem for those out in Twickenham. Her words: delicious and nice for a date as its cosy, dark and atmospheric. On top of that? Charming waiters.


Italian Cafe for a quick bite

Bar Bruno
Area: Soho
Nearest train/ tube: Leicester Square/ Tottenham Court Road

This is a little deli that caters to your Italian craving without skimping on quite English choices like egg and chips.

My Favourite Pizza Takeaway – EVER

For pizza that is tasty, affordable, isn't greasy and has great lunch deals, my household wholeheartedly recommends Napoli Pizza. You can get deep pan, thin crust, or stuff crust and order online at napolipizza-battersea.co.uk or call 020 7978 6555. Open 11:30 am until late; there are even special deals for collection from their Lavender Hill base. Try it. It's the only place I'll call. Who needs poncy and pricy if you're eating in your flat

Do you have any Italian restaurants to add to the list? Would love to hear of more to try!

Posted via email from Oot and Aboot

1 Comments:

Anonymous Belsize Park Takeaway London said...

Cio bella & Numero Uno - I am familiar with these two places only, so thanks for the listing, will visit in those places for sure.

19/3/10 15:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home