Monday, January 25, 2010

On the allergy ward: Last. Tree shot. Ever.

Those of you who see eye the calendar with trepidation as spring approaches unsure of how bad allergy season will be in the upcoming year, I understand your pain. At one point, my allergies got so bad that I had to stay at home for a week as my eyes were swollen shut and I had to have Kleenex permently stuffed up my nose to prevent my brain from turning to snot and escaping. It was then that I marched into the doctor and demanded allergy shots.

So three years ago I was tested and prodded and started on a course of treatment that basically ensured me a weekly hospital visit since then. And its all free from the lovely NHS! When I arrive at the hospital, I get a shot with a small portion of the allergen I'm allergic to. For me, I'm getting grass, tree and dog shots. I then have to wait an hour in case I have a reaction, they check the injection site and check my peak flow and if it's all good I get to go.

I can't believe how it's changed my life. Ever since I was a kid, 5 minutes in a room with a dog I'd have an asthma attack and break out in hives. Since my shots I've spent an entire weekend in the company of a dog and other than a bit of a throat tickle, I was fine. I even let a dog lick my hand for the first time (it was bizarre and a bit uncomfortable...don't generally have my hand licked by anyone)

Today I was informed that I had received my last shot ever for my tree allergies. A joyous occasion! I have 4 more for grass and then have my dog shots once every 6-8 weeks until November. I'm so close to being done I can taste it!

No more red swollen arms from my tree shots. No more grumpy nights. I'm free of the tree! Caloo calay! I'm chortling in my joy.

Posted via email from Oot and Aboot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home