Thursday, January 28, 2010

A little Canadian perspective

I've always wanted to travel across the US, and to do it by train? Magic. I first encountered Lloyd's cultural conversations as part of Counterpoint and felt inspired by the depth and breadth of conversation. When I heard about the planned journey across the US to lead more of these conversations, I jumped at the chance to be a part of it. Not only am I facinated by the experience and the conversations that will take place, but as a filmmaker, I'm excited to be able to capture it on film.

Tonight I brainstormed with my DP, Michelle, about what we could do and capture as we travelled through the country. Capturing the tuttlers (us included) and the conversations are very important, yes, but being there, talking about culture, we want to experience even more.  So if we can arrange it, we'd love to speak to a new immigrant and a multi-generational individual/ family in each city. Time allowing, we'd speak to people in their own homes or a place in the city that represents their city/ their culture in the city – whatever helps them identify themselves in the community – basically where ever they feel represents their culture, their home.

Beyond that, the most exciting part of the cultural conversations is my place in them.  Michelle and I are both Canadians and so in these US - UK conversations, where do we belong? Growing up in Canada, we were fed daily doses of US television and ads and I've lived in England for 8 years now. Though I still sound Canadian, my language is peppered with Britishisms so no one is sure where to place me. And in some ways, neither can I.  So maybe this journey will help me find a bit more about where I sit amongst these countries where we all speak English but our worlds often feel miles apart.

So do you know anyone in the countries we're visiting who might want to be interviewed individually? Or show us around the place they call home so we can know a bit more about their culture? Your thoughts would be most welcome!

Posted via web from Tuttle goes to SXSWi 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home