Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I gave up caffiene for the NSPCC

Today is pancake day or, as its more formally known as, Shrove Tuesday. Leap Anywhere and the Kindness Offensive were at Ed's Diner in Rupert Street giving away free pancakes all in the name of Kick Bullying and the NSPCC.

I sat up at the counter and was offered a choice of tea or coffee as I waited for the next batch of pancakes to be ready. The place was packed, chaotic but in a warm pancakey, helium balloons and ribbons kind of way. They even had a couple in full 50s regalia jiving along to the music pouring out of the speakers.

What I didn't realize us that my maple syruped pancake had a price. Now shrove Tuesday is the last day of freedom before lent. People eat up all the food that can't be eaten during the 30 days of lent.

In keeping with that tradition, Malcolm Scovil of Leap Anyway mixed with the crowd of people lured by free food, camera in hand. His mission? To make us give up something for 30 days in support of the NSPCC.

So, being the daring person I am, promised on camera that I would give up caffeine for a month. That means no coffee, no diet coke, no builders tea and, as someone who knew I'd be in the US pointed out, no mountain dew. Over the upcoming 30 days I'll then talk about my caffeine withdrawal all so I can mention NSPCC and hopefully get more people interested in this amazing charity.

This would be a mean feat if I was just sitting at home for the month BUT I'm not going to be. I'm going to be travelling with the #tuttle2texas crew, filming in 6 different cities over 10 days before filming for a week at SXSW in Austin. Yikes!

So this is the last drop of caffiene I'll have in 30 days. I promise I won't whinge too much. I do want to still have friends at the end if this. I have made Malcolm promise to get me the biggest coffee I've ever seen upon my return. And I'll be holding him to it.

Follow the NSPCC on twitter at @theNSPCC or see more on their website www.nspcc.org.uk . Are you up for the challenge? Join me and give up something for 30 days for the NSPCC.

Posted via email from Oot and Aboot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home