Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hey You!!

This is the look you get from a Russian stage hand when you try to unassumingly take their picture. In an O'neils. At 3 am. But afterwards he told my sister "I want that picture. you send to me" That there, above? Only one interesting moment of a crazy night.

It all started uneventfully - I bought a handbag and my sister got one too and we made our way over to the Italian Kitchen (yum yum) to have dinner with the girls. Pasta eaten, wine drunk and conversations had and then I thought hey! My friend Rosa is playing a gig around the corner - how fun would it be if we went along. Only my sister and I were keen so off we went and it. was. actually around the corner. Two shops down in fact! Turns out it was a poetry night and we just missed my friend play but got to hear some crazy poetry instead. Afterwards in the bar, a few of the stragglers had us join them for a drink and a chat (yes - I said - you can make money from writing...not necessarily good writing but wahey!) and a couple of them suggested we head to O'Neils. And that's where the true craziness began.

At the table next to ours was a group of Russians singing and drinking. Turns out we stumbled upon a troop of Russian dancers from Moscow over here dancing at the Opera House. We danced, we spoke stilted English, we sang our national anthem (not sure how that even started), and got invites to hotel suites (no! We didn't go! What kind of girls do you think we are...). Sarah did give my phone number to one of the dancers who promised to call in seven years when he came back. How romantic. I wonder if he'll actually call. Hmmmmm. Russian dancer boys.

Pub kicked us out at 3 and we were shown the stage door of the opera house with a promise that we'd come back at 1:45 the next day to see Swan Lake. Unfortunately, the next day, my body was rebelling against me and the wine I drank so there was no moving in my near future. The couch was my best friend. Sorry boys! Another time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home