Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hockey Night in Canada!

It's the Stanley Cup! The Stanley Cup! The 7th game and my team (the Edmonton Oilers or the Oil as I like to call them) are in it to win it! Other than the team being Canadian nothing else is - the game is not in Canada as it is in Carolina and I'm not watching it in Canada as I am in London.

The breakdown (in GST)

1:25 - Some girl sings both national anthems badly. When the word red comes up in the Star Spangled Banner - everyone shouts it out. Why? I don't know but the crowd sure seemed excited.

1:30 - Game starts (I think). I was in my bedroom organising something or other as I was trying to escape from the awful singing.

Between 1:30 and 1:56 - There is a goal by Carolina. Boo. Boo I say. Ummm. I missed it. Not sure what I was doing.

1:56 - There is a big controversy with much watching and rewatching of video playbacks. There was an attempted goal but it was "frozen" in the crease by an Edmonton player. Maybe. There are many phone calls being made. It's tense. But not quite sitting on the edge of your seat kind of thing.

2:01 - Resolved. Nothing happened. But they sure did like making those phone calls.

2:17 - Fighting my need for sleep. Have resorted to filing my non-existance nails to keep me awake as I wait for period 2 to start. Yawn!

Between 2:22 and 2:29 - Went to the bathroom. Missed Carolina score another goal. Com'on boys!!! Get on top of it!

From 2:30 to 3:30 - I have a nap. I'm not made of steel am I...

3:52 - Empty net goal...it is 3 - 1. We have lost. I am crying on the inside. And falling asleep on the outside. First time in 16 years we have made it this far.

Queen's We are the Champions is playing as the Stanley Cup is paraded around the ice by the Carolina Hurricanes. My team is in the box their head in their hands. A piece of my heart is breaking. The Stanley cup isn't coming home this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home